5 Things You Should Do When You Get Pulled Over
In the unfortunate event that we are pulled over for a traffic violation, we almost always experience a rush of emotions -- confused, angry, nervous, scared –which makes it difficult for us to focus and get through the ordeal calmly. Rather than asking yourself, "What do I do when I get pulled over?" here are a few tips that can help you stay in control:
1) Slow down and use your turn signal. This may seem like common sense, but it is the first step to staying in control when you get pulled over. Using your turn signal shows the officer that you are aware that you are getting pulled over. Once he sees your turn signal, he will safely guide you to the side of the road.
2) Shut off your engine. Once you have come to a complete stop on the side of the road, turn off your engine. By shutting off your engine, the officer will know that you aren't ready to make an escape.
3) Turn on your interior lights. If it is dark outside, you will want to turn on your interior lights. The officer wants this to be a safe ordeal. By turning on your interior lights, the officer will know that you aren't hiding anything in the car and will feel more at ease when he approaches your vehicle.
4) Place your hands on the steering wheel. By placing your hands on the steering wheel, the officer will know that you do not have any weapons in posession. Keep your hands on the steering wheel until the officer asks for your license, registration, and proof of insurance.
5) Be courteous and respectful. Complaining and blowing up at the officer will not help your case by any means. Be respectful to the officer and he will help guide the process in a seamless manner.
For more information on how to stay in control during all driving related emergency situations, get the Driver's I.C.E. Pack! The Driver's I.C.E. Pack has easy to follow instructions and emergency forms that will help you remain calm and get all the necessary information from driving emergencies. Read more about the Driver's I.C.E. Pack here and purchase a Driver's I.C.E. Pack here!